"After auditioning actors from New York and AWI grads, AWI graduates ended up nailing the auditions and landing most of the lead and supporting roles in my feature film. I continue to get feedback from producers about the excellence of the acting. The training offered right here in Ithaca through AWI is unparalleled."
Cathy Lee Crane
Award Winning Filmmaker & Ithaca College Film Professor
Big City Training,
Small Town Attention
AWI is a Meisner Technique and audition prep studio located in Ithaca NY.
Our students hail from as close as Ithaca and commute from as far as Pennsylvania.
Discover training found in elite universities with the individual attention and affordability of a small town.
DISCOVER AWI AT A GLANCE
Many universities and studios focus on one specific skillset actors need to succeed.
At AWI, we believe every acting student must leave their training armed
with technique, audition skills, marketing savvy, and performance experience.
When our students leave our studio, they have the tools needed to act locally, or nationally.
Master the technique sought after by agent
Learn how to nail your audition for TV, film and theater
Experience dedicated mentoring from knowledgeable staff
Perform in sold out student showcases
Foster connections nationally and become a valued part of the local theater scene
Join a class of diverse, welcoming people and create lifelong friendship
What you'll learn... the specifics.
At AWI you'll have the opportunity to complete a comprehensive five semester Meisner Technique program.
Our technique is highly respected in the industry and hard to find outside of NYC and LA, which is why many of our student commute.
- The Meisner Technique was developed by Sanford Meisner at the Neighborhood Playhouse from 1935-1990.
- Meisner's cutting-edge approach taught students to stop "acting" and instead react honestly to their partner moment by moment.
- Meisner trained actors are currently highly sought after by talent agents and casting agents.
- If you want to pursue acting as a hobby a unique, Meisner will give you the opportunity to learn the technique of professionals.
- If your dream is to act in New York or L.A., you’ll have an exemplary addition to their resume.
- You will leave our studio armed with the ability to compete with professionals on a national scale, or to land parts locally, on stage and screen.
Audition Training: We prepare the whole actor.
- Make an impact when you enter the room.
- Give a great cold reading.
- Prepare emailed sides for callbacks.
- Nail on-camera auditions.
- Leave your audition sending the right message.
- Communicate well in auditions with casting directors, talent agents and even difficult directors.
- Dress for your audition.
Our students don't just train, they perform.
- At the end of our Fall and Spring semesters, our students act in a series of one act plays and monologues for the public.
- AWI students perform to consistently sold out houses in Risley Theater on Cornell University's campus.
- Performances are attended by friends, family, and the Ithaca theater community.
- Showcases often lead to performing opportunities outside of AWI, including film roles.
- Students can also audition for full length shows directed by our stellar directors.
Our students consistently report our integrated marketing training sets us apart from other studios.
- Match your skills with how you present.
- Refine your elevator pitch.
- Pick the perfect headshot.
- Create a theatrical or film resume.
- Network with integrity, yet strategically.
- Connect with talent agents and casting directors.
- Interview effectively with agents.
- Optimize your contacts so you can successfully create your own work.
- Brand yourself.
- Take advantage of our successful AWI community of grads.
How can join?
- No previous experience is necessary, but an openness to learning and awakening your creativity is a must.
- These classes are intended for adults. Students must be at least 17 years old to register for the Mon/Wed or Tues/Thurs classes and 18 years old for the Sunday class
Meisner Technique classes follow the collegiate calendar. Each section meets twice a week for 12-15 weeks per semester.
Instructor: Eliza VanCort
Class begins Sept. 13, 2018
Instructor: Katie SpalloneClass begins Sept. 14, 2018
Instructor: David Kossack
Class begins Sept. 7, 2018
545.00 per 12-15 week semester
receive 15% off
Fall Semester Tuition!
Cutoff Tuition Refunds:
- 4 weeks before the first day of the semester: 100%
- 3 weeks before the first day of the semester: 75%
- 2 weeks before the first day of the semester 50%
- 1 weeks before the first day of the semester: 25%
- On or after the first day of the semester : 0%
To keep up with the day to day adventures of the AWI community, please visit our facebook page.