Many universities and studios focus on one specific skillset actors need to succeed. At AWI, we believe every acting student must leave their training armed with technique, audition skills, marketing savvy, and performance experience. When our students leave our studio, they have the tools needed to act locally, or work on a national level.
At AWI you'll have the opportunity to complete a comprehensive five semester Meisner Technique program.This technique is highly respected in the industry and hard to find outside of NYC and LA, which is why many of our students travel up to two hours to study with us.
- The Meisner Technique was developed by Sanford Meisner at the Neighborhood Playhouse from 1935-1990.
- Meisner's cutting-edge approach taught students to stop "acting" and instead react honestly to their partner moment by moment.
- Meisner trained actors are currently highly sought after by talent agents and casting agents.
- If you want to pursue acting as a hobby a unique, Meisner will give you the opportunity to learn the technique of professionals.
- If your dream is to act in New York or L.A., you’ll have an exemplary addition to their resume.
- You will leave our studio armed with the ability to compete with professionals on a national scale, or to land parts locally, on stage and screen.
Unlike many universities and studios, at AWI we don't just focus on one specific skill set actors need to succeed. We prepare the whole actor, with a special focus on audition training.
- Make an impact when you enter the room.
- Give a great cold reading.
- Prepare emailed sides for callbacks.
- Nail on-camera auditions.
- Leave your audition sending the right message.
- Communicate well in auditions with casting directors, talent agents and even difficult directors.
- Dress for your audition.
Our students don't just train, they perform.
- At the end of our Fall and Spring semesters, our students act in a series of one act plays and monologues for the public.
- AWI students perform to consistently sold out houses in Risley Theater on Cornell University's campus.
- Performances are attended by friends, family, and the Ithaca theater community.
- Showcases often lead to performing opportunities outside of AWI, including film roles.
- Students can also audition for full length shows directed by our stellar directors.
Our students consistently report our integrated marketing training sets us apart from other studios.
- Match your skills with how you present.
- Refine your elevator pitch.
- Pick the perfect headshot.
- Create a theatrical or film resume.
- Network with integrity, yet strategically.
- Connect with talent agents and casting directors.
- Interview effectively with agents.
- Optimize your contacts so you can successfully create your own work.
- Brand yourself.
- Take advantage of our successful AWI community of grads.
- Make your own luck!
- No previous experience is necessary, but an openness to learning and awakening your creativity is a must.
- These classes are intended for adults. Students must be at least 17 years old to register for the Mon/Wed or Tues/Thurs classes and 18 years old for the Sunday class.
- Our classes fill quickly. We strongly encourage you contact us today to make sure you aren't closed out of classes.
- If the class of your choice is full, we urge you to get on our wait-list.
- We offer private coaching. Feel free to contact us with questions.
Meisner Technique classes follow the local collegiate calendars. Each section meets twice a week for 12-15 weeks per semester.
- Monday/Wednesday, 5pm-8pm
- Tuesday/Thursday, 10am-12pm
- Tuesday/Thursday, 5pm-8pm
- $535.00 per 12-15 week semester
Cutoff Tuition Refunds:
- 4 weeks before the first day of the semester: 100%
- 3 weeks before the first day of the semester: 75%
- 2 weeks before the first day of the semester 50%
- 1 weeks before the first day of the semester: 25%
- On or after the first day of the semester : 0%
To keep up with the day to day adventures of the AWI community, please visit our facebook page.